Date: April 2017
Office Location: Hammersmith, London
The Building and Engineering Services Association (BESA) is a UK-based trade and employers’ association that provides services to and represents the interests of 1,200 organisations.
BESA members are UK firms active in the design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of building and engineering services, products and equipment.
The Role of the Policy Co-ordinator/ Market Analyst
Supporting the Functional Directors and Chief Executive, and working closely with colleagues in all parts of the BESA Group, to coordinate and ensure the operational delivery of BESA’s public affairs and external public affairs strategy and market data/analysis activity. More specifically, to provide executive support for raising the profile of BESA members in the building engineering services sector with:
- Central and local Government, agencies, regulators and ombudsman
- Industry stakeholders – ECA, CBI, BuildUK, SEC Group etc.
- European and International
Based on BESA lobbying and representation.
The BESA’s activity in this area is mainly relevant to sector specific issues in a B2B context, with occasional B2C issues.
Provide proactive support, liaison and assistance within the Communications and Policy teams for the delivery of:
- The public affairs components of BESA’s vision and mission at a local, national, European and international level.
- Work with public affairs consultancies, to identify, achieve and maintain effective political and Government contacts
- Development and maintenance of strategic contacts/initiatives with key industry bodies
- Monitoring the activities of Parliament, Whitehall and other relevant bodies and organisations
- Raising the profile of an organisation/client
- Any market research, data capture, analysis and relevant commentary.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Department to ensure that public relations strategy and plans (e.g. stances, messages, contacts and campaigns are represented within the overall marketing and communications strategy.
- Co-ordinate activity with the public relations manager to ensure that BESA’s relationship from a public affairs perspective is strengthened with relevant national, key trade publications and journalists.
- Liaise with the public relations manager and communications executive to ensure the timely and efficient production and distribution of press releases
- Liaise with the public relations manager and communications executive to ensure the production of targeted press outputs, such as articles
Supporting Duties /Responsibilities
- Report on public affairs issues within BESA governance structure, as required
- Assist with proof reading as necessary
- Provide text for social media
- Assist with crisis management plans (external communications)
Qualifications & Experience
A good graduate (and/or able to demonstrate successful and relevant experience).
The successful candidate will have at least two years’ (and preferably more) experience in a relevant role, such as a B2B public policy or political affairs agency account manager or an in-house public affairs executive. Relevant public affairs experience is also highly preferable.
In particular, the candidate will be able to show successful (and suitably relevant) experience of:-
- Maintaining relationships with key stakeholders
- Organising and issuing press outputs
- Corporate public affairs activity, and
- Working effectively with third party agencies
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to plan effectively, and to carry out plans to completion
- Ability to assess and/or respond to issues rapidly and effectively
- Able to work on a variety of projects at any given time, if need be
- Understand and work with trade association considerations
- Able to deliver varied messages to several different types of stakeholder
- Very good organisational skills
- Strong written English abilities
- Excellent attention to detail
- High IT user skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe and others.
- Keen interest in public affairs activity
- Proactive, self-motivated
- Team player
- Keen to learn and adopt new approaches as necessary
- Responsive to, and cable of dealing with, unfolding events, requirements, and deadlines
- Committed to ‘getting things done’
- Personable and able to work well within a small professional team
- Commercially aware
- A desire to exceed internal & external stakeholder needs
- Effective communicator with positive attitude- able to build excellent relationship with colleagues and external contacts
To apply for the position please email a covering letter and CV with current salary/salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org