Office Location: Home-based
Region: Northern England
Building engineering services association (BESA)
BESA is the UK's leading trade association for building services engineering contractors. Founded in 1904, it adds value to members' businesses by providing quality services, promoting excellence and shaping the commercial environment through representation and leadership.
BESA represents the interests of firms active in the design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (hvacr) products and equipment.
BESA member companies benefit from access to a wide range of services which are carefully tailored to their needs, and which help them to build better and more profitable businesses.
THE membership services department
The Department represents the face of the Association to members and industry organisations at a local level. Working closely with the Membership Services Department, they are responsible for the Association’s strategy on recruiting new members and retaining existing ones. They also operate the Regional and Branch infrastructure through which BESA communicates with its members across the UK.
The Regional Managers are an integral part of the Association’s executive staff and maintain close professional relationships with colleagues at head office and elsewhere within the BESA group.
BESA training is the training arm of the Building Engineering Services Association (BESA) providing Trailblazers, (Modern) Apprenticeships, Short Course and CPD to its Members and the wider industry.
We are committed to supporting our Trade Association members in the Apprenticeship Levy and in the development of Trailblazers to ensure recruitment and a competent workforce for our sector for the future.
BESA commercial products & activities
BESA offers a number of commercial offerings to both its members and the wider industry.
These products include SFG20, Refcom, BESCA Competent Persons Schemes, SKILLcard and Welplan. These products are a vital revenue stream that help support the Associations work and assist its members in achieving compliance.
Membership, Apprenticeship Recruitment and Commercial Support
Provision of Regional Membership services, retention and new member recruitment, assisting BESA Training in Apprenticeship recruitment (from BESA Members) and Promotion of the Associations commercial products and activities across the sector (member and non-member);
- Jointly with head office colleagues, develop an effective local approach to membership development including the identification of recruitment prospects in the Region and undertaking an active campaign to bring them into membership;
- Prospect for member opportunities within the region including infrastructure projects and specification changes, such as PQQ, meetings and presentations;
- Promote and support BESA training provision in the region, in conjunction with the Marketing & Communications Team;
- Support the Training Support Coordinator (TSC), in delivery of apprenticeship, on behalf of the member and provide continuous liaison with the member on any progress or issues that the TSC reports;
- Provide training advice for companies and provide feedback to BESA Training and BESA on local issues that may have an influence on National Training policies;
- Support local Training Account Manager and TSC in the delivery of training with apprenticeship opportunities, employer engagement & intervention as the employers and associations representative;
- Contribute to the accuracy of the prospective member database and the CRM system of BESA;
- Provide periodic progress reports to Line Management;
- Promote and identify apprenticeship placement opportunities with employers who have not been involved in apprenticeships previously and from repeat business;
- Act as key contact for the membership application process through to admission;
- Through Regional Membership activity, maintain and grow BESA income from subscriptions and promote other BESA business activities (cross selling) as appropriate;
- In conjunction with the Key Account Manager visit key specifiers within your designated region;
- Actively promote and generate qualified leads in support of the Associations commercial products.
Membership Retention and New Business Development
Retain existing member organisations and actively respond to member needs across a broad range of issues:
- Undertake an engagement program with all members within your designated region to establish ‘customer needs and satisfaction’ and deal with issues that arise;
- Operate a helpdesk service for members locally, signposting to head office as appropriate;
- Utilise the services of the marketing/events team, drawing on their expertise to deliver high quality local/regional meetings and other events providing added value for members and companies undertaking BESA apprenticeships;
- Where appropriate supply information to members to assist continuing compliance with BESA membership requirements and assist with non-conformance as appropriate;
- Actively generate opportunities and qualified leads for the Association’s commercial products leading to successful sales via the Association’s commercial divisions.
Together with the support of BESA head office, manage the region and:
- All supporting administrative systems;
- Develop and maintain a Forecast and Business Plan for the region gaining approval through BESA;
- Have an understanding of all BESA activities within your regional area to sign post to members and BESA departments and commercial activities
- Manage BESA financial resources to the extent that is appropriate in support of Regional initiatives and activities;
- To contribute to the planning, monitoring and control of resources.
Work as a team member alongside all other appropriate BESA personnel:
- Establish and maintain links with the Association’s subsidiary companies active in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland;
- Ensure that BESA and its members are promoted effectively in the Region;
- Establish sound relationships with key business groupings in the Region;
- Promote benchmarking, best practice and associated BESA initiatives to members;
- Maintain awareness of the services available to members from the wider BESA group and promote them to members and others as appropriate;
- Maintain regular contact with appropriate local media and in conjunction with head office staff, undertake lobbying activities in support of BESA policy objectives in the region;
- Organise regional member meetings;
- Maintaining the Association’s profile and representing members’ interests in the relevant legislatures and pan-industry fora, and mounting and co-ordinating lobbying, representational and media activities in support of key issues facing the sector;
- Support and run the combined BESA Regional Awards;
- To keep abreast of new training initiatives which are introduced by members in your allocated region;
- Promote the Associations commercial products;
- To undertake any other work as directed by Line Management.
- Act as Secretariat for BESA members covering regional/specialist branch committees;
skills & knowledge
- Experience in managing and leading teams
- General Management skills
- Presentation skills and experience in delivering briefing sessions
- Proven project management skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent Time Management skills
- Championing the aims, objectives and mission of the Association and acting professionally at all times
- Proven sales and campaign driven experience
- Able to work with set objectives and business development targets
- Good communicator at all levels and an effective conduit between members and the Association
- Self-motivated, proactive, disciplined with excellent organisation and planning skills
- Marketing experience / awareness
- IT Competence including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook & Microsoft CRM)
- Be commercially aware
- Hold a full UK driving licence
- Be well connected within the
- In-depth knowledge of the Building Engineering Services industry and the contracting sector
- Knowledge of government and stakeholder funding regimes
- Political awareness including public sector structures
- Knowledge of work based learning packages
- Current knowledge of training and qualifications of the Building Services Engineering Sector
- Current knowledge of Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Flexibility and willingness to be mobile
- Customer Focus
- Responsive to customer demands and committed to a quality approach
- Maintain and encourage high business and personal standards
- Team player, able to motivate colleagues but also to work on own initiative
- Communicate with impact
- Target driven
- There will be extensive travel and must be willing & able to work non-standard hours as and when necessary.
To apply for the position please email a covering letter and CV with current salary/salary expectation to email@example.com.