Certification and Registration

Certification and registration enable the demonstration of best practice to end users, as well as enabling you to remain compliant.


Building Engineering Services Competence Assessment Ltd (BESCA) operates Certification Schemes to assess, certify and register the competence of contractors and individuals engaged in the building and engineering services industry. BESCA is the leading independent certification body delivering assessments nationally to businesses and individuals wishing to self-certify and notify work under the Building Regulations; and meeting the standards of the Energy Act 2010.

Read More

Competence Assessment Standard - CAS

The BESA Competence Assessment Standard provides independent accreditation of our members’ technical competence and commercial capability. By completing the scheme members are verified with recognised industry and legal requirements ensuring that their clients can be confident that their project is in safe hands.

Read More


F gas certification is a legal requirement for companies handling refrigerants. Refcom is the market leading certification scheme, having been appointed by the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to operate a certification body under the stationary equipment provisions of the Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases Regulations. An additional voluntary scheme, Refcom Elite, has been operating since 1994 to promote best practice in refrigerant management. Refcom Elite encourages working to industry codes of practice and compliance with the latest industry legislation putting you one step ahead of your competitors. Refcom Elite certification is completely FREE for BESA Members.

Read More


Many construction and site managers request that their workers hold a SKILLcard before coming on site. SKILLcard is one of the largest schemes affiliated to the Construction Skills Certification Scheme. Anybody working in the heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration industry, including ductwork and other specialisms associated with the building engineering services industry - such as service and facilities, domestic heating and plumbing, and refrigeration and air conditioning should hold a SKILLcard. The scope of SKILLcard also covers those with supervisory and managerial responsibilities in the building engineering services industry. The ACRIB SKILLcard is specifically for those working in the air conditioning sector and is available to those who hold a current F gas certificate and have passed a health and safety awareness assessment.

Read More